Medford Historical Society
Dr. James Still Office Historical Site
Dr. James Still Education Center to Hold Open House
The Dr. James Still Office Historical Site will celebrate Black History Month with an open house at its Education Center on two Saturdays, February 13 and 20. The building will be open from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. and descendants of Dr. Still will be present to discuss his story and his extended family. The Education Center is located at 211 Church Road, about one quarter mile east of its intersection with Route 541. Admission is free, although contributions are always welcome.
Dr. James Still (1812-1885), was a renowned herbalist and healer known as “The Black Doctor of the Pines.” A son of slaves born into poverty at Indian Mills, NJ and mostly self-educated, James Still became one of the wealthiest men in Burlington County. He recorded his life and times in an autobiography published in 1877. The state of New Jersey purchased the Still office and grounds in 2004, including the farmhouse next door which became the Education Center. The Medford Historical Society operates the site and its volunteers provide programs for school classes and the public.
For more information on the site, its programs and the Medford Historic Society visit www.medfordhistory.org.